Quiver trees, Nama culture, rugged landscape and an impressive sweeping rock formation characterise Canyon Village. Stone-and-thatch chalets are positioned in a horse-shoe design around a celebration of young quiver trees and the sprawling thatched central area, bedecked with bougainvillea, serving as restaurant, bar, lounge and reception. A cart drawn by a team of mules waits outside, conveying luggage to the chalets in a flurry of activity and laughter. 'Take a walk on the South's side' is a suitable motto for this Fish River Canyon lodge.
The history of southern Namibia is depicted in murals on the restaurant's wall and a colourful and lively rendition of life in the golden time of the missions graces the wall in the reception area. An ox-wagon with hundreds of years of history ingrained in its wood stands in the buffet area and a well-preserved horse cart has been placed amongst the boulders in the cosy bar.
Take a moment to honour the ancient Nama deity, Haitsi Aibeb, at the front entrance and to request a blessing for the journey ahead. Staff members take pride in wearing their traditional patchwork dress and headdresses here, bringing in the spirit of the south and the Nama people, one of the first peoples of southern Africa. The honey-coloured people have a knack for story-telling and have lovingly woven song and dance into their traditions. Their smile stretches far and wide.
These homely touches bring warmth and intrigue to a lodge which is an ideal base to explore the Fish River Canyon, Namibia's star attraction, twenty kilometres away. Join a guided excursion to the canyon viewpoints to be inspired by new perspectives or a 3-4 day Canyon Trail for a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Be awed by this great Earth masterpiece patiently carved over the millennia.
And make the time to put feet up, soak in the sun at the pool, loaf in one of the comfortable couches in the lounge, watch the sun set over the Gondwana Canyon Park on a sunset drive or stretch legs on the numerous walks through the rocky hills. You haven't gained a suitable perspective of the surrounds until you glimpse the spectacular view from the rocky heights. Gondwana Canyon Park has an abundance of wildlife. The plains animals are visible on the 4x4 Wildebeest Drive between Canyon Village/Lodge and Roadhouse.
Enjoy a slow meander in the morning watching zebra, wildebeest, springbok and gemsbok, and include a stop at the Roadhouse for lunch before circling back on the gravel. There's an earthy appeal to the Village that mirrors the landscape of southern Namibia with an honest authenticity and integrity. Canyon land. Nama charm. And a wealth of rich storytelling.
S 27˚ 39.142 E 017˚ 46.429
- Available Services
- Laundry Service
Credit Card: Visa, Master
- Property Facilities
- 42 Rooms (2 Single, 28 Twin, 4 Triple, 4 Family and 2 Rooms for persons with restricted mobility)
Air Conditioning / Heating
En-suite bathrooms, showers
Tea / Coffee Facilities
- +264 63 693 025
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)63 693 029
- +264 (0)63 693 027
- After Hours:
- +264 81 129 2424
Rooms & Rates
- Fish River Canyon Activities
- Experience the wild expanse of the Gondwana Canyon Park where the fences of ten farms were dismantled to recreate a Namibian Eden. Take a guided drive to the Fish River Canyon to be inspired by new perspectives. Join a 3-4 day Canyon Trail for an experience of a lifetime. Meander along the 4x4 Wildebeest Drive watching plains animals. Celebrate sunrise amidst the quiver trees and sunset from a hillock, overlooking spectacular scenery. The Canyon lodges are comfortable havens to take a break from the road. Explore and discover the ancient wonderland, or simply luxuriate in the peace, lounging at the poolside, snoozing in the coolness of your chalet or sitting on the terrace dipping into a book.
- Morning Hike
- This hike (about 6 km) takes you right into Gondwana Canyon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 3 hours)
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 353 pp|
|Season 2019: 1 November 2018 - 31 October 2019||N$ 330 pp|
- Sunrise Walk
- We drive you to a spot with a grand view. Watch the sunrise while enjoying coffee and tea. Then we walk back the short distance to the lodge. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 1 hour)
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 187 pp|
|Season 2019: 1 November 2018 - 31 October 2019||N$ 175 pp|
- Hike from the Village to the Lodge
- A hiking trail takes you from Canyon Village up to a mountain plateau. Enjoy a breathtaking view of the vast plains adjacent to the canyon. At ‘Archway Rock’ you start to make your way back into the plain and to the lodge. (2 - 3 hours)
|Self-guided||Free of charge|
- Canyon Drive
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the two major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. Our guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geology. (Approx. 3 hours)
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 1045 pp|
|Season 2019: 1 November 2018 - 31 October 2019||N$ 950 pp|
- Sundowner Drive in Gondwana Canyon Park
- The 3 hour drive is the perfect opportunity for you to acquaint yourself with the geology, flora and fauna of the Gondwana Canyon Park. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. It starts at Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village. Approx. 3 hours
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 599 pp|
|Season 2019: 1 November 2018 - 31 October 2019||N$ 560 pp|
- Sundowner Walk
- All guests are invited to wrap up the day with a short excursion to our very own ‘local’ mountain. Have a drink and watch the sun go down.
|Self-guided||Free of charge|