Fill up on smiles at this extraordinary and out-of-the-ordinary lodge. Resembling a roadhouse of old with a large red roof, the lodge is a veritable treasure-house and a 'must-do' stop when visiting the canyon. The outside area hints of the wonderland interior with its rusty old Chevys and Fords from a bygone era, adorned with corky quiver trees and desert flora. Park your vehicle and step inside.
As if you have entered an Aladdin's cave, the large doors open onto an International truck serving as the reception desk, a 'pompstasie' (filling station) bar and an assortment of classic vehicles and transport paraphernalia assembled with an innovative and creative flair - and a good deal of humour! Restaurant tables are placed in between and the cabs of several cars serve as zany fireplaces in the chilly winter months.
Canyon Roadhouse has more than just a fascinating interior. Large attractive rooms, positioned around courtyards, make the Roadhouse a comfortable - and convenient - base when visiting the Fish River Canyon, just 14 kilometres away. The canyon resort has a swimming pool, a campsite, a terrace to enjoy Roadhouse specialities like Amarula cheesecake (and the best cappuccino for miles around) and a walking trail through the hills.
Sunset is best appreciated from the hill above the lodge looking out onto the flat-topped Holoog Mountain and the Gondwana Canyon Park. Take a guided excursion to the canyon viewpoints, hike the 3-4 day superlative canyon trail or drive the 4x4 Wildebeest Route towards Canyon Lodge and Village to view zebra and wildebeest on the grassy plains. Be sure to include this quirky lodge - constructed with flair, creativity, mischief and a zest for life - into all travel plans!
(ps. The lodge also has its own fuel station, so remember to fill up on fuel and smiles when visiting the canyon.) S 27˚ 31.439’ E 17˚ 48.680’
- Available Services
- Laundry Service
Credit Card: Visa, Master
- Property Facilities
- 22 Rooms (19 Twin, 1 Triple and 2 Family Rooms)
Wi-Fi (100 MB free)
Air Conditioning / Heating
En-suite bathrooms, showers
- +264 63 683 111
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)63 266 031
- +264 (0)63 693 017
- After Hours:
- +264 81 129 2424
Rooms & Rates
- Morning Hike (guided)
- This hike (about 6 km) takes you right into Gondwana Canyon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 3 hours). Starting from Canyon Lodge - guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 353 pp|
- Sunrise Walk (guided)
- We drive you to a spot with a grand view. Watch the sunrise while enjoying coffee and tea. Then we walk back the short distance to the lodge. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 1 hour). Starting from Canyon Lodge - guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 187 pp|
- Hiking Trails (un-guided)
- Stretch your legs and enjoy the beautiful surroundings by making use of our marked walking trail (no map provided). Bookable at the lodge only. (2 - 3 hours)
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||Self-guided, free of charge|
- Morning/Afternoon Canyon Drive (guided)
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the two major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. Our guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geology. Refreshments, a light snack and all park entry fees are included. (Approx. 3 hours). Starting from Canyon Lodge - guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 1045 pp|
- Sundowner Drive in Gondwana Canyon Park (guided)
- The 3 hour drive is the perfect opportunity for you to acquaint yourself with the geology, flora and fauna of the Gondwana Canyon Park. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. Approx. Refreshments and light snacks included. 3 hours. Starting from Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village - guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 599 pp|