Fill up on smiles at this extraordinary and out-of-the-ordinary lodge. Resembling a roadhouse of old with a large red roof, the lodge is a veritable treasure-house and a 'must-do' stop when visiting the canyon. The outside area hints of the wonderland interior with its rusty old Chevys and Fords from a bygone era, adorned with corky quiver trees and desert flora. Park your vehicle and step inside.
As if you have entered an Aladdin's cave, the large doors open onto an International truck serving as the reception desk, a 'pompstasie' (filling station) bar and an assortment of classic vehicles and transport paraphernalia assembled with an innovative and creative flair - and a good deal of humour! Restaurant tables are placed in between and the cabs of several cars serve as zany fireplaces in the chilly winter months.
Canyon Roadhouse has more than just a fascinating interior. Large attractive rooms, positioned around courtyards, make the Roadhouse a comfortable - and convenient - base when visiting the Fish River Canyon, just 14 kilometres away. The canyon resort has a swimming pool, a campsite, a terrace to enjoy Roadhouse specialities like Amarula cheesecake (and the best cappuccino for miles around) and a walking trail through the hills.
Sunset is best appreciated from the hill above the lodge looking out onto the flat-topped Holoog Mountain and the Gondwana Canyon Park. Take a guided excursion to the canyon viewpoints, hike the 3-4 day superlative canyon trail or drive the 4x4 Wildebeest Route towards Canyon Lodge and Village to view zebra and wildebeest on the grassy plains. Be sure to include this quirky lodge - constructed with flair, creativity, mischief and a zest for life - into all travel plans!
(ps. The lodge also has its own fuel station, so remember to fill up on fuel and smiles when visiting the canyon.) S 27˚ 31.439’ E 17˚ 48.680’
- Available Services
- Laundry Service
Credit Card: Visa, Master
Kindly note, day visitors are permitted per prior arrangement only. Please contact the lodge directly for arrangements.
- Property Facilities
- 22 Rooms (19 Twin, 1 Triple and 2 Family Rooms)
Air Conditioning / Heating
En-suite bathrooms, showers
- 264 (0)84 0007321
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)61 427 200
- +264 (0)61 251 863
- After Hours:
- +264 (0)81 129 2424
Rooms & Rates
- Morning/Afternoon Canyon Drive (guided)
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the two major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. Our guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geology. Refreshments, a light snack and all park entry fees are included. (Approx. 3 hours). Starting from Canyon Lodge; guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 1045 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 1150 pp|
- Sunset Nature Drive in Gondwana Canyon Park (guided)
- The 3 hour drive is the perfect opportunity for you to acquaint yourself with the geology, flora and fauna of the Gondwana Canyon Park. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. Approx. Refreshments and light snacks included. 3 hours. Starting from Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village; guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 599 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 659 pp|
- Morning Hike (guided)
- This hike (about 6 km) takes you right into Gondwana Canyon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 3 hours). Starting from Canyon Lodge; guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 353 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 388 pp|
- Sunrise Walk (guided)
- We drive you to a spot with a grand view. Watch the sunrise while enjoying coffee and tea. Then we walk back the short distance to the lodge. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 1 hour). Starting from Canyon Lodge; guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2020: 1 November 2019 - 31 October 2020||N$ 187 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 206 pp|
- E-Biking (self-guided)
- Pedal through the Gondwana Canyon Park on an electrical bicycle in your own time and enjoy the pristine nature. A trail map is available at the reception. Bookings only directly at Canyon Roadhouse, max 4 hours, return before nightfall. Rates available at the Lodge.
- Hiking Trails (self-guided)
- Stretch your legs and enjoy the beautiful surroundings by making use of our marked walking trail (2 - 3 hours, no map provided). Please inform the reception before you set off. Free of charge.
- Canyon Under Canvas Sleep-out
- Experience a truly Namibian adventure in the raw nature of the Gondwana Canyon Park. The remoteness and absence of light pollution guarantees one of the darkest night skies in the world, making it ideal for stargazing. This privately managed park (126 000 ha) supports a variety of indigenous wildlife and fascinating flora like Quiver Tree and Hoodia. Sitting around the fire at night, listening to the sounds of nature makes this adventurous outing an experience of your lifetime. Must be pre-booked prior to arrival at the Lodge; min. 2 and max. 8 persons. Starting from Canyon Lodge; guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Lodge.
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 2800.00 pp in a tent|