Anticipation builds up as you turn off the main gravel road toward Canyon Lodge. The soft colours of apricot sand merging with the pale green of euphorbias is a prelude to the loveliness of the lodge surrounds. As you turn a final bend, the lodge comes into view. Nestled between rounded granite boulders, Canyon Lodge's quaint century-old farmhouse reception, verdant garden and cool pond invite and welcome you into the enchanted enclave.
The neighing of horses from the paddocks follows you down a lane to the stone chalets, through a green tapestry of grass kept well-watered by the recycling plant and dotted with camelthorn trees. The path continues to a swimming pool and the wild and beautiful expanse of the Gondwana Canyon Park.
Take a guided drive to the Fish River Canyon to be inspired by new perspectives, join a 3-4 day Canyon Trail for an experience of a lifetime, follow the 4x4 Wildebeest Drive to view the plains animals, watch sunrise amidst the quiver trees, hike in the rocky hills or savour the sunset either from the adjacent koppie or on the sunset drive. Away from the world, there is a gentle rhythm of peace to find here, reaffirming the goodness of life. For those just wanting a break from the road, lounge at the pool, take a snooze in the coolness of your thatch-and-stone chalet or dip into a book on the terrace. The awe-inspiring canyon wakens our senses to the raw and powerful beauty of Nature.
A high standard of hospitality excellence is provided at Canyon Lodge in a relaxed and understated way. Offering character and charm, without the glitz, the lodge's down-to-earth attractiveness and homeliness is perfect for the rugged Fish River Canyon surrounds. Twenty kilometres from the chasms carved by millions-of-years of Earth history, earth cataclysms, whispers of wind, raging torrents of water and sparkling streamlets, this Fish River Canyon lodge is a hideaway not to be missed.
GPS Coordinates -27.66333, 17.78056
- Property Facilities
Cold water swimming pool
Playground (jungle gym)
Property is accessible for those with limited mobility
- Available Services
- Credit card: Visa, Master (at the main lodge)
- +264 (0)61 427 200
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)84 0007310
- After Hours:
- +264 (0)81 129 2424
- Morning/Afternoon Canyon Drive (guided)
- Especially for guests who want a break from the wheel or those on a fly-in safari. You are taken to the two major lookout points along the Fish River Canyon. Our guide will tell you all about the canyon's fascinating geology. Refreshments, light snacks and park entrance fees are included. (Approx. 3 hours)
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 1150 pp|
- Sunset Nature Drive in Gondwana Canyon Park (guided)
- The 3 hour drive is the perfect opportunity for you to acquaint yourself with the geology, flora and fauna of the Gondwana Canyon Park. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. It starts at Canyon Lodge or Canyon Village. Refreshments and light snacks are included. Approx. 3 hours
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 659 pp|
- Morning Hike (guided)
- This hike (about 6 km) takes you right into Gondwana Canyon Park. You are accompanied by a guide who will gladly share his knowledge about the fascinating desert landscape around the canyon. This Tour does not go the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 3 hours)
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 388 pp|
- Sunrise Walk (guided)
- We drive you to a spot with a grand view. Watch the sunrise while enjoying coffee and tea. Then we walk back the short distance to the lodge. This tour does not include the Fish River Canyon. (Approx. 1 hour)
|Season 2021: 1 November 2020 - 31 October 2021||N$ 206 pp|
- Sunset Walk (escorted)
- All guests are invited to wrap up the day with a short excursion to our very own ‘local’ mountain. Have a drink and watch the sun go down. Refreshments will be charged on the room. Self-guided, free of charge.
- E-Biking (self-guided)
- Pedal through the Gondwana Canyon Park on an electrical bicycle in your own time and enjoy the pristine nature. Your self-guided tour starts at Canyon Roadhouse. A trail map is available at the reception. Guests must arrange their own transport to Canyon Roadhouse. Bookings only directly at Canyon Roadhouse, max 4 hours, return before nightfall. Rates available at the Lodge.
- Hiking trail from the Village to the Lodge (self-guided)
- A hiking trail takes you from Canyon Village up to a mountain plateau. Enjoy a breath-taking view of the vast plains adjacent to the canyon. At ‘Archway Rock’ you start to make your way back into the plain and to the lodge. (2 - 3 hours, free of charge)
|Self-guided||Free of charge|