KLEIN-AUS VISTA GEISTERSCHLUCHT CABIN
There's a touch of magic and intrigue at this rustic 'Ghost Canyon' cabin. Simplistic but exclusive as it hides in a secluded valley, where a rusty bullet-ridden Hudson greets you at the entrance road, a relic from a gunfight between diamond smugglers and police. Their ghosts are said to roam the valley in search of their lost diamonds. Further along the trail, a series of stone ramparts are visible from WWI days (1914-18) from when the German forces built fortifications here in the Aus hills to make a stand against the South African Union soldiers.
The Geisterschlucht Cabin consists of two family rooms sharing a bathroom, kitchen and lounge area. Solar panels that charge batteries provide 220 volt light and outlets to charge devices but please note no hair dryers and electric kettles can be used. The two rooms each have two ¾ beds and one bunk bed each, sleeping a total of 4 persons per room with bedding provided. The bathroom has two organic toilets and two showers. The open plan kitchen and lounge area is equipped with a fridge/gas burner and an inside braai area with cutlery, crockery, pots and pans provided. There is also an outside braai area to enjoy pleasant evenings around the fire.
Guests are more than welcome at the Inn's restaurant for breakfast or dinner (subject to availability, please enquire upon arrival). A better option are the barbecue packs which can be ordered at the reception (Desert Horse Inn, 6 km). Two hiking trails run through the picturesque valley and the habitat of the Wild Horses is just 20 km away.
GPS Coordinates: S 26˚ 39.121' E 16˚ 14.608'
Please note: During some periods of the year the cabin may only be accessible with a 4x4. Please enquire when making your reservation. There is a minimum charge when making a booking.
|Property facilities||Cabin facilities|
|Bar||2 dormitories with 5 bunk beds|
|Wifi||2 showers & toilets|
|Restaurant||Communal kitchen & dining area|
|Swimming pool||Outside barbecue facilities|
- +264 63 258 116
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)63 258 021
- +264 (0)63 258 021
- After Hours:
- +264 81 129 2424
Rooms & Rates
- Hiking Trails / Mountain Bike Trails
- Explore the flora and fauna of the Succulent Karoo desert on your own. You have five different hiking trails to choose from. They are well marked and take you through the wildly romantic scenery of the Aus Mountains. Duration: between 2 and 5 hours
|Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||N$ 45 pp|
- Scenic Sunset Drive
- These drives in the late afternoon present an opportunity to experience the incredible scenic beauty of Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park at dusk. (min. 3 persons per excursion)
|Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||N$ 375 pp|
- Desert Tour (leaving early in the morning)
- Kubub, Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park, (God’s Window), min. 4 persons per excursion
|Full Day to Kubub. Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||N$ 950 pp|
|Half Day to Kubub. Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||N$ 600 pp|
- Day trip to Lüderitz and Kolmanskop
- Lüderitz is just 120 km away and the ghost town of Kolmanskop only 115 km (tar road). Klein-Aus Vista is the ideal starting point for a trip to both places. 20 km from Aus, on the way to or back from Luderitz, visit the Garub water hole where the wild horses and several other animals of the desert plains can be found. The Wild Horses of the Namib have roamed this harsh habitat since 1915 and are an experience one should not miss.
|Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||Self-guided|
- Horse Riding
- Subject to availability. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
- Mountain Biking
- There is a choice of different routes on well marked trails: varying from 18 km to 35 km - mostly single track trails - recommended for riders with intermediate skills. Rent duel suspension bikes.
|Season 2018: 1 January 2018 – 31 December 2018||Park fee: N$ 45 pp, Bike rental fee: N$ 350 per day|