There's a touch of magic and intrigue at this rustic 'Ghost Canyon' cabin. Simplistic but exclusive as it hides in a secluded valley, where a rusty bullet-ridden Hudson greets you at the entrance road, a relic from a gunfight between diamond smugglers and police. Their ghosts are said to roam the valley in search of their lost diamonds. Further along the trail, a series of stone ramparts are visible from WWI days (1914-18) from when the German forces built fortifications here in the Aus hills to make a stand against the South African Union soldiers.
The Geisterschlucht Cabin consists of two family rooms sharing a bathroom, kitchen and lounge area. Solar panels that charge batteries provide 220 volt light and outlets to charge devices but please note no hair dryers and electric kettles can be used. The two rooms each have two ¾ beds and one bunk bed each, sleeping a total of 4 persons per room with bedding provided. The bathroom has two organic toilets and two showers. The open plan kitchen and lounge area is equipped with a fridge/gas burner and an inside braai area with cutlery, crockery, pots and pans provided. There is also an outside braai area to enjoy pleasant evenings around the fire.
Guests are more than welcome at the Inn's restaurant for breakfast or dinner (subject to availability, please enquire upon arrival). A better option are the barbecue packs which can be ordered at the reception (Desert Horse Inn, 6 km). Two hiking trails run through the picturesque valley and the habitat of the Wild Horses is just 20 km away.
As long as Namibia’s borders are shut for foreign travelers, Klein-Aus Vista would like to encourage our fellow Namibians to visit Namibia’s beautiful south! Klein-Aus Vista offers self-catering options at Desert Horse Campsite, Geisterschlucht Cabin, Eagle’s Nest Chalets as well as at Desert Horse Inn. Please enquire directly at Klein-Aus Vista regarding the more than 50% discount on accommodation. For more information please click here.
GPS Coordinates: S 26˚ 39.121' E 16˚ 14.608'
Please note: During some periods of the year the cabin may only be accessible with a 4x4. Please enquire when making your reservation. There is a minimum charge when making a booking.
- Available Services
- Credit Card: Visa, Master
- Property Facilities
- Rustic "Geisterschlucht" Family Cabin (max 8 persons)
Restaurant at the Desert Horse Inn reception area
Bar at the Desert Horse Inn reception area
Swimming pool at the Desert Horse Inn
Mobile connectivity at the Desert Horse Inn reception area
Two family rooms sleeping 4 pax each (2 x ¾ beds and 1 x bunk beds)
Bedding is provided
Two gas heated showers and two organic toilets
Solar charged batteries providing 220 volt
Open plan kitchen and lounge area without cutlery & crockery
Outside barbecue facility
Barbecue packs are available at the reception
Solar charged batteries providing 220 volt
Note that 220 V power points are only for charging devices
- +264 63 258 116
- Tel (Alternate):
- +264 (0)63 258 021
- +264 (0)886 23302
- After Hours:
- +264 81 129 2424
Rooms & Rates
- Hiking Trails (self-guided)
- Explore the flora and fauna of the Succulent Karoo desert on your own. You have five different hiking trails to choose from. They are well marked and take you through the wildly romantic scenery of the Aus Mountains. Duration: between 2 and 5 hours
|Season 2020: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020||N$ 50 pp park fee|
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021||N$ 50 pp park fee|
- Scenic Sunset Drive (guided)
- These drives in the late afternoon present an opportunity to experience the incredible scenic beauty of Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park at dusk. (min. 3 persons per excursion)
|Season 2020: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020||N$ 400 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021||N$ 450 pp|
- Desert Tour (guided)
- Kubub, Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park, (God’s Window), min. 4 persons per excursion. (Morning and afternoon departures)
|Season 2020: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020 | Full Day to Kubub.||N$ 1000 pp|
|Season 2020: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020 | Half Day to Kubub.||N$ 650 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021 | Full Day to Kubub.||N$ 1100 pp|
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021 | Half Day to Kubub.||N$ 750 pp|
- Day trip to Lüderitz and Kolmanskop (self-guided)
- Lüderitz is just 120 km away and the ghost town of Kolmanskop only 115 km (tar road). Klein-Aus Vista is the ideal starting point for a trip to both places. 20 km from Aus, on the way to or back from Luderitz, visit the Garub water hole where the wild horses and several other animals of the desert plains can be found. The Wild Horses of the Namib have roamed this harsh habitat since 1915 and are an experience one should not miss.
|Season 2020 | Visiting hours Kolmanskop: Monday to Saturday 8:00 to 14:00, Sunday and public holiday 8:00 to 13:00; guided tours (45-60min tours offered in English and German): Monday to Saturday 9:30 and 11:00; Sunday and public holiday 10:00|
- Mountain Biking (self-guided)
- There is a choice of different routes on well marked trails: varying from 18 km to 35 km - mostly single track trails - recommended for riders with intermediate skills. Rent duel suspension bikes.
|Season 2020: 1 January 2020 – 31 December 2020||Park fee N$ 50 pp, bike rental fee N$ 400 per day|
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021||Park fee N$ 50 pp, bike rental fee N$ 400 per day|
- Stone Horse/UI HÄB Land Art (self-guided)
- A short hike takes you to a lookout point with a unique view into the vast landscape and at a Land Art work of art. A 100x150m galloping horse has been set in stone on the plains of Klein-Aus Vista Lodge in south-western Namibia in honour of Namibia’s century-old population of wild horses. (Morning/afternoon, 1-2 hours)
|Season 2021: 1 January 2021 - 31 December 2021||Park fee N$ 50 pp|